Thursday, January 17, 2008

Could have been worse

Yesterday I did what I had been dreading since getting here. And worse than that I had to do it with a hangover! Not only did I have to drive in Indonesia for the first time ever, but I had to do it in an automatic. Now you would think that it would be an easy switch going from a manual to an auto, and I certainly take on board that it must be easier than the vice versa, but bit heavy when you're hungover. I had to take the admin lass down to the bank and she was a little shocked when I got to the peak of the first hill and went to cover the clutch, found that there wasn't one, hit the brake, and shot poor Mawa into the windscreen. Short learning curve, so tucked my left foot under the seat for the rest of the journey. I have said it before, but this is how god meant us to drive, no real rules, no lines on the road, and always driving within less than a foot of another vehicle. Usually a moped. The whole experience was a lot more fun than I thought it would be, although I would be a lot more fun in the Frontera. The bloody great kijang (it's an eight-seater SUV) has only a 1600cc engine, so it's a little sluggish. I need a nice Toyota 4x4 or a Pajero, that would be the shit! Now all I need is enough money to afford to get my computer out of the impound, and enough to keep me constantly drunk, then I can afford a Pajero.

Bugger. Oh well.

No comments:

The usual rubbish, just a little more often. Please feel free to dig through the archives. There's some odd stuff, some utter crap, and some stuff that even worries me. But life is far too short to worry about it. Enjoy.